[OS X TeX] How to typeset latex.ltx?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Mar 4 15:49:00 CET 2006

On Mar 4, 2006, at 8:30 AM, Rechtsanwalt Friedrich Vosberg wrote:

> Morning.
>
> I've tried to typeset latex.ltx but it failed:
>
> ===== 8>< =====
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
> ! I can't write on file `latex.log'.
> Please type another transcript file name:
> ===== ><8 =====
>
> latex.ltx ist saved in:
>
>   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/
>
> I am not allowed to write there.
>
> Can you tell me the way to typeset this file, if possible without
> change the privilegues and without to copy the file or the complete
> directory into another write enabled direcktory?
>
> TIA and kind regards. Friedrich
>

> --
> Rechtsanwalt Friedrich Vosberg

Howdy,

Why are you typesetting that? I believe that is simply the base file
for producing the latex format, not a documentation file.

If you really must compile that document you'll need to run with root
privileges so you should run it as prefixed by sudo and give the
administrator password.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)