[OS X TeX] Warning. Mac Intel and 10.4.4 and up: TeX i-Package hanging

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Mar 3 12:18:15 CET 2006

It is a known problem that the TeX i-Package hangs on Mac Intel
somewhere during configuration. My only guess at this time is that it
is triggered in Mac OS X 10.4.4 and up (10.4.3 never had this problem
when I was using it) when there is a lot of subprocess output.

Mac OS X on ppc is not affected because i-Installer PPC is linked
against Panther.

A possible workaround is to install the Basic install only. I have no
guarantees that this works, but at the moment it is my only guess.
Later one could add other parts in Expert mode. Another solution is to
install on a ppc machine and copy /usr/local/teTeX over to the intel
machine.

There is currently not much I can do about this. The problem occurs in
a place where I do not have access with debugging tools. If this is an
Apple problem or some fault in i-Installer is also not known at this
stage. I have sollicited Apple's help in tracking down this problem,
and Apple has just assigned me an engineer. Hence, for all you lucky
MacBook Pro and iMac 2006 owners, you need to sit this one out because
I cannot give an estimate of any solution.