[OS X TeX] Fonts in the pdf output

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Jun 29 13:55:22 CEST 2006

On Jun 29, 2006, at 7:04 AM, André Bellaïche wrote:

> How can one force TeXShop to incorporate all the fonts used in the
> pdf output ?

That's the wrong question. Even if a font is fully embedded in a .pdf
Illustrator will not, and can not, due to its architecture make use
of them. It is _only_ able to make use of fonts installed for and
available to the operating system or in a special Adobe app-specific
Fonts folder for later versions.

> (I use Utopia+Fourier. When opened with Illustrator CS2, the file
> does not contains any font, or Illustrator cannot find them.)

No, when you open the font it complains that the font is not
available and that it has been converted to the system encoding ---
in some instances it will convert certain characters to outline ``to
preserve their appearance.''

Have you tried installing Fourier for Mac OS X proper?

That will allow Illustrator to find them, however, its ability to use
them will depend on the encoding of the characters which you use and
how well they match Mac OS X's encoding.

The ideal solution here would be to set up a Unicode math font in
XeTeX, then files would be openable directly in Illustrator since the
encoding used by TeX and in the .pdf would match that of Illustrator
and the font.

I'm currently making a first pass on testing the Adobe Font Folio
OpenType edition w/ XeTeX and examining how to adapt the math setup
to use Lucida Math and Agfa Math Pi is one of the things which I'll
be looking into. This is a difficult problem though, 'cause OpenType
doesn't (by default) include enough information about character
shapes and positioning in its metric tables to allow TeX to typeset
math.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.