[OS X TeX] SVG to LaTeX?

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 07:12:19 CEST 2006

Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Alain,
>
> On 28/06/2006, at 10:26 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> I have no idea how to do "svg code editing".
>

> With this simple example from
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html
> containing a few rectangles:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
> <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN"
>   "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
> <svg width="5cm" height="4cm" version="1.1"
>      xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
>   <desc>Four separate rectangles
>   </desc>
>     <rect x="0.5cm" y="0.5cm" width="2cm" height="1cm"/>
>     <rect x="0.5cm" y="2cm" width="1cm" height="1.5cm"/>
>     <rect x="3cm" y="0.5cm" width="1.5cm" height="2cm"/>
>     <rect x="3.5cm" y="3cm" width="1cm" height="0.5cm"/>
>   <!-- Show outline of canvas using 'rect' element -->
>   <rect x=".01cm" y=".01cm" width="4.98cm" height="3.98cm"
>         fill="none" stroke="blue" stroke-width=".02cm" />
> </svg>
>
>  ... it's easy to see what each length refers to.
> So editing this to change the number, size, location or
> color of the rectangles would be easy.

I suppose so but when I opened one of my svg files with subethedit, I
saw something a lot more complicated than that. But, to be honest, I
should have said that I have no intention to learn yet another language.

> The tagging structure is XML, which is pretty easy to get used to.

What's XML? I am joking but barely so.

> With more complicated pictures, a point-and-click tool might be
> easier, for locating the piece you want to change, and seeing the
> results. But at least in principle you can hand-edit the SVG code.

I like drawing and drawing with a drawing program (Intaglio) is not so
different.

>> My problem is that, already at this point, I have a couple of
>> hundred graphics which means one svg for "graphic editing" and one
>> pdf for "inclusion in the latex source".
>

> Do their contents look similar in style to the example above ?

As I said above, most are quite a bit more complicated because, for the
readers I am writing for, a drawing is worth a thousand words.

> If not, what tool created them ?

Intaglio

>> As I understand it, the advantage of the Moore solution, whether  the
>> uncompressed version or the compressed one, is that the svg  code
>> being included in the latex source, a person wishing to edit a
>> graphic would have the choice between:
>> - "svg code editing" in-place or in an editor (after decompressing
>> if needed)
>> - "graphic editing' by having some graphics app realize the vector
>> graphics from the code, do the "graphic editing" with the graphics
>> app and getting subethedit turn it back into code for substitution
>> in the latex file.
>

> I'm always in favour of having several alternatives available to do
> technical work.

so am I particularly when one of the choices is what I am used to.

> What is the role of SubEthaEdit here?

I found out by accident that when it opens a svg file, it gives the code.

> My old version 1.0 shows nothing specific to SVG.

Mine is version 2.0.1 v751

Best regards
--schremmer