[OS X TeX] SVG to LaTeX?

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Mon Jun 26 17:35:37 CEST 2006

>PD> Am 24.06.2006 um 22:48 schrieb Piet van Oostrum:

>PD> I  don't know what SVG is ...
>>>
>>> That shows. SVG is a vector format based on XML. You shouldn't replace
>>> vector format files with bitmap files.

>PD> I think I opened a few SVG files in GNU Emacs and to me they appeared  like
>PD> an XML wrapper around a bitmap file in PNG, GIF, TIFF, JPEG  format, the
>PD> usual HTML suspects. So I assumed Alain would find the  same ... (SVG can
>PD> also contain text. That's another reason I thought  SVG is just an XML
>PD> container for whatever kind of contents. But it  seems SVG has its own
>PD> vector format.)

Basically SVG is a vector format, but it also can contain bitmap parts. Just
like EPS or PDF. Bitmap images can also be linked instead of embedded. Of
course it doesn't buy you much if you put *only* a bitmap inside SVG.

>PD> I looked at some nation flags in SVG format inside xrmap:

[snip]

>PD> It's not clear to me whether this is a champion's flag ... but it  looks
>PD> really like a vector format. Indeed, such a format would make  sense!

>PD> So it would make much sense to preserve complete ability to edit the  files
>PD> while saving them as SVG. And when saving the last changes, a  copy for TeX
>PD> in PNG format could be saved, too! If Intaglio has an  AppleScript
>PD> interface it could be used to load SVG files and save  them as PNG. Or
>PD> whatever it supports or is wished.

>PD> At least ImageMagick's convert can convert from SVG to PNG, for  example:
>PD> convert flag.svg flag.png. I wonder which trace utility
>PD> convert/ImageMagick uses!

Conversion from SVG to PNG doesn't need tracing capability. The other way
around it does if you want to have a real vector format.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>