[OS X TeX] TeX i-Package updated (foo-sys/foo workaround, font map search improvement)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jun 24 19:18:29 CEST 2006

Am 24.06.2006 um 17:51 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> updmap-sys

The line above is nonsense. (Although it would work now, see below!
Even out of systematical reasons this simple command only exists for
the owner of the system's TeX tree. It's not a user option.)

> What I would think (but I'm not sure that is correct) is "sudo
> updmap-sys" won't work for you. It will read the files from ~/
> Library/texmf, and generate map files in texmf.local. Given you
> have already updmap-generated map files inside ~/Library/texmf,
> these will take precedence over any more recent map file generated
> by updmap-sys in texmf.local, so that your additions won't be seen.

The last sentence is correct.

Gerben wrote yesterday:

	"- I have changed texmf.cnf such that updmap and updmap-sys (and all
other variants) work as updmap-sys."

So the right invocation is either 'sudo updmap' or 'sudo updmap-sys'
-- without sudo you won't be able to write into the system TeX tree.
A 'sudo -H' will prevent using/searching one's own private property
because $HOME gets changed to /var/root.

I think the good old® standard years ago was that a simple updmap
failed because it was trying to write into the system's TeX tree. You
had to use sudo. Later, with the -sys variants, you had to prevent
the sys-utilities to search your own private tree, so you had to add -
H to sudo.

I must admit that I do not understand completely the change of
"GWTEXVAR=$HOMETEXMF" (will the texmf.gwtex branch still be
searched?) -- I think I'll stay the next few years with my recent set-
up! (Whatever this is right now.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

"What is this talk of 'release?' Klingons do not make software
'releases.'  Our software 'escapes,' leaving a bloody trail of
designers and quality assurance people in its wake."