[OS X TeX] SVG to LaTeX?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jun 24 14:07:31 CEST 2006

Am 24.06.2006 um 01:41 schrieb Alain Schremmer:

> But, it seems to me, that does not significantly affect my query:
> Is there a way automatically to convert PNG graphics into code that
> could then be inserted into the LaTeX source which would then
> result in a single source file that you would then be able both to
> print and edit?

Why do you want to convert PNG? PdfTeX handles it. XeTeX, too. And it
can be contained in DVI output and treated accordingly by dvips,
dvipdfm, and others.

Why not create in Intaglio one graphic and then put stamps on it,
stamps like GIF, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, and, maybe, JPEG2000. Then you save
each of these variants à la testfile-<format>, and another series all
with the same name "testfile" but different extensions. Now you can
create two tex sources. One loads all the testfile-<format> files
(giving you for example an option to try different caption packages
in one file), the other works with \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{} to
include only one or some formats, to learn this mechanism also. Maybe
a second series in Unicode for XeTeX. Converting the sources and
printing the output will be the final step -- although I think a
preview should be OK and enough proof that this could also be printed
on paper.

An "automatic conversion" of anything cannot happen, maybe except on
Windows. In UNIX you have to invoke a programme, tell it the name of
a file and at least the desired output format. There are some more
determined ones that only do one thing in one direction, so can save
some input. Good programmes can determine the input file's format.
Such convertors for the command line are for example Apple's sips
(jpeg | tiff | png | gif | jp2 | pict | bmp | qtif | psd | sgi | tga,
preserving colour profiles), or convert from ImageMagick (as used for
example in TeX4ht, more than twelve graphics formats -- I stopped
counting them early). Netpbm, also from an i-Package for example,
offers some conversions.

>> I don't know what SVG is ...
>
> Scalable Vector Graphics

That's a bit silly! What is inside the XML container? What format has
the actual picture you or Intaglio put into?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind."
D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9