[OS X TeX] SVG to LaTeX?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Jun 23 21:01:04 CEST 2006

On Jun 23, 2006, at 2:45 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> What you mention is not what I am looking for because I already
> Save in Intaglio/SVG and also Save A Copy in cropped pdf which is
> what gets included with \includegraphics{pdf}.
>
> But if I were to send you the book for you to edit, I would have to
> send you:
>
>    - the LaTeX source
>    - plus all the pdf that are included so you can typeset it
>    - plus all the SVG so you can edit the graphics.
>
> That is why I said it would be rather cumbersome.
>
> So, my question, triggered by the  threads  "Should I install X11"
> and "making pictures", is whether there is a way automatically to
> convert SVG graphics into code that could then be inserted into the
> LaTeX source which would then result in a single source file that
> you would then be able both to print and edit.

No, what I mentioned was a link to a page which included a
programming library of which I said:

>> should be able to set things up so that an svg is transparently
>> converted to a .pdf at need using svglib

So, my idea is that you would _only_ save out a .svg, and then you
would set up TeX (or TeXshop) so that when a graphic is placed, if
it's not available as a .pdf it would be converted automatically from
a .svg if available (for bonus points, set it up to compare the file
modification date and to do the conversion if a .pdf older than a
matching .svg is available).

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.