[OS X TeX] Slightly OT, BibDesk Problem

Adam Goldstein adam.goldstein at jhu.edu
Mon Jun 19 21:00:35 CEST 2006

On Jun 19, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Dietrich, Daniel L wrote:

> Dan
>
> P.S.  Has anyone ever tried RefWorks.  It is a Web-based reference
> manager available to us at NASA.  I see no advantages and many
> disadvantages compared to BibDesk, but I would be curious if anyone
> with more experience with these packages has any feedback..... Dan

I have used Refworks, and I found it absolutely maddening. There is a
good idea there: a web-based reference manager integrated with your
institution's online collections. The ability to index and sort
references is far weaker than with BibDesk, and of course, the
integration with LaTeX is also far weaker. It is also quite slow, and
there always seemed to be something wrong with it, so that it didn't
work as it was supposed to. Also, it's not clear what you are
supposed to do if you leave the institution. As you can see, my
experience with RefWorks was not so good. Perhaps others have had
better luck.

If I am away from my computer, I email references to myself in any of
the variety of formats that can be converted to BibTeX; if I need to
check my bibliography when I am away from my computer, I am stuck.
I've thought of putting a copy of my main bibliography on my iDisk or
something similar; at least I could look through it with a text
editor from anywhere.

-Adam Goldstein