[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.09 crash

Jon Guyer jguyer at his.com
Thu Jun 15 23:07:51 CEST 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 3:55 PM, Wolfgang Schmidle wrote:

> Well, at least there is a temporal proximity between TexShop
> crashing and ceasing to latex my file, my attempts to get it to
> work properly again or to re-install it, and the kernel panic.

Correlation does not imply causation.

> Other applications continued to work fine, and even the TeXShop
> editor worked. Only the  the activity monitor crashed, but I would
> imagine that TeXShop's "too many processes" were to blame for that.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm afraid you are wrong. Kernel panics fundamentally cannot be
caused by application software. They are bugs in the kernel (the
deepest roots of the OS) or problems in hardware. TeXshop may have
exposed the flaw, but to my knowledge, TeXshop could not have
*caused* the flaw even if it wanted to.

> I guess Chris is right: I should backup my files now.

Probably advisable.