[OS X TeX] typsetting in TeXShop

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 14 13:56:57 CEST 2006

On 14-jun-2006, at 5:58, jkock wrote:

>> What I don't know how to do is to go to the error line in the
>> TextWrangler window directly from TeXShop's console. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>                                                   Nestor Aguilera
>
> Hello Nestor,
>
> TeXShop sends the open-source-file-at-error-line instruction to the
> editor
> specified in the unix environment variable TEXEDIT.
>
> So the first question is whether TextWrangler is able to act as
> TEXEDIT
> target.  Alpha, emacs and BBEdit can do this.  For Alpha, the value of
> TEXEDIT should be
>
>   /Applications/AlphaX/Tools/alphac +%d %s
>
> Since BBEdit is capable as well, there is a fair chance TextWrangler
> is too, but I don't know the precise details.

For TextWrangler, provided the command line tool is installed (see
the preferences in TW):
/usr/bin/edit +%d %s

For BBEdit:
/usr/bin/bbedit +%d %s

> There is a way to circumvent this by specifying the environment
> variables in a certain .plist file.  Then it will be respected by
> all GUI
> applications.  However, Gerben Wierda strongly discourages changing
> this
> file, because some of his own applications are fragile w.r.t.
> environment
> variables and expect certain default settings in order to work.

I think you have to be careful (setting TEXINPUTS is a very bad
idea). However, setting TEXEDIT _should_ not harm other applications.

> Ideally, every process should take care of these variables on its
> own and
> set those that are wrong, to make sure that all child processes
> inherit the
> correct value.

Agreed, and I think it would be a very good idea if TeXShop adds this
in the preferences, with a default suitable to do it self (and having
a command-line utility would be of tremendous help).

> TextWrangler should do the same, but I have no idea about how this
> is done
> in TextWrangler.  Of course this is not something the end user
> should ever
> be confronted with, it ought to just work like this out of the box.

The Bare Bones folks encourage the use of said environment.plist
file, so it is unlikely to work without using this system.

Maarten