[OS X TeX] vertical positioning within a cell of a table

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 16:45:21 CEST 2006

Here is a simple case

Say I have a table with 1 row and 2 columns.
In the first column I have a tall graphics and in the second column I
have text.

The graphic and the text come out bottom-aligned.
How do I get, say, at least a top-alignment or a center alignment?

One way is to use multirow with the optional positioning parameter vmove
and the text in the first row of the second column with either enough
empty rows in the second column or \vspace{xmm} below the table for the
graphic not to overlay whatever is below the table. (Companion 2ed, p274)

It works (by vmoving the graphic in the first column!) but seems to me
rather clunky.

Is that really all there is? (\vspace{xmm} after the text doesn't have
the effect I would have expected.)

Regards
--schremmer