[OS X TeX] OT: Location of print spool files

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Jun 11 01:09:27 CEST 2006

Am 11.06.2006 um 00:45 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> Did I make a basic error of syntax, or is it the "lp" owner of the
> cups directory that is impervious to sudo?

Twice: no!

The reason is that cd is a shell built-in command, so you can't
'sudo' it, even sudo -H -u root wouldn't change this. X11 would be a
help: 'sudo -H xterm <possible arguments>' would launch an xterm and
its user would be root -- you even can invoke it with -ls, i.e. with
a login shell in xterm.

A much simpler method is: sudo -H emacs. In Emacs' dired-mode you can
walk through directory hierarchies (f to follow into a directory,
cursor to move in the view) and mark files for deletion (d). A final
x would do the job -- no fear: first you are asked whether you really
want to delete. (u un-marks useful files.)

I think AR was already pumping data into a temporary file in /var/
spool/cups/tmp. A simple test would be to switch off the printer and
print the copies again while watching this directory with either or
both methods and as a third one with lsof to exactly which files are
kept open by AR.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Encryption:  A powerful algorithmic encoding technique employed in
the creation
                      of computer manuals.