[OS X TeX] ISO Help - Getting PDF Fonts Right

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 8 23:46:43 CEST 2006

On 8 Jun 2006, at 23:42, Jeffrey Weimer wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2006, at 2:46 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> \usepackage{mathptmx}
>> \usepackage[scaled=0.87]{helvet}
>> \usepackage{courier}
>> \normalfont
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage{textcomp}
>
> OK, I feel a bit embarrassed. I do have the packages to use these.
> However, the PDF still contains fonts such as NimbusRom ... and
> NimbusSan and StandardSymL ..., which must mean ...

Those are the replacement fonts. This is normal behaviour, unless you
somehow bought the real deal. I'm quite sure you'd know about that if
you'd done that.

> On Jun 8, 2006, at 3:55 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>> ... Just a quick note: on a standard install, this will use times,
>> helvetica and courier "look alikes", not the real deal. I consider
>> this a good thing, because it means you don't have to rely on
>> whatever is available on the printing computer (often Arial). This
>> also means that the fonts are included in the pdf, but subsetting
>> is on by default (I think). I'm not sure if pdfTeX is configured
>> to recognise the PS Base 14 fonts (and their replacements) as non-
>> embedable. i-Installer has an option to include the base-14 fonts,
>> but since those fonts aren't included anyway, I'm suddenly not so
>> sure what that actually means.
>>
>> If you want to prevent crashes at the printers' office, make sure
>> all glyphs are included in the pdf.
>
> So, at the risk of being told to RTFM (which I will gladly do if
> shown the shelf where it is), how do I make sure all glyphs are
> included?

Check the fonts in Adobe Reader -> Document Properties -> fonts. All
fonts should be listed as "Embedded Subset". This is the default, if
you see something else, report back here, so we may figure it out.

Maarten