[OS X TeX] epstopdf

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 8 16:47:32 CEST 2006

Le 8 juin 06 à 16:05, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> I'd just go into Terminal and find out:
>
> which epstopdf
>
> should return the full path of the epstopdf perl script if it
> exists on your system. I believe it is installed as part of the
> Ghostscript i-installer package (or maybe the TeX i-installer
> package? I can't remember which!).

The second, I think:

- pstopdf, aka /usr/bin/pstopdf, is Apple's distiller, installed with
Tiger (and maybe Panther, I'm not sure).

- ps2pdf, aka /usr/local/bin/ps2pdf, is GhostScript's distiller,
installed through the GhostScript i-Package.

- epstopdf, aka /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/
epstopdf or /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/epstopdf,
is teTeX's EPS-to-PDF distiller (hence applying only to single-page
EPS files), installed by the TeX i-Package. Actually it works by
calling ps2pdf.

BTW, thanks Herb for reminding about "which". I always forget about
it. Trying it revealed that a DarwinPorts-installed ps2pdf (as a port
dependancy, I think, probably for xpdf) was having precedence of my
setup:

legimc11:~ brunovoisin$ which ps2pdf
/opt/local/bin/ps2pdf

because of carelessly ordered items in /etc/csh.login and /etc/
profile. Editing them in pico to make sure

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/bin

comes last in in /etc/profile, and similarly for /etc/csh.login,
yields now

legimc11:~ brunovoisin$ echo $PATH
/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/
powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/opt/local/bin
legimc11:~ brunovoisin$ which ps2pdf
/usr/local/bin/ps2pdf

so that epstopdf at least calls the version of ps2pdf is was designed
to work with.

Bruno