[OS X TeX] Newbie questions:

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 8 11:59:16 CEST 2006

Le 8 juin 06 à 08:50, Robert Bruner a écrit :

> Ah, this is much better now.  Thanks Bruno and Peter for pointing out
> that X11User was waiting for me in optional installs, whereas I was
> looking at the XCode stuff.  That fixed the dependency which prevented
> the Xaw3d i-Package from installing, and now xdvi (sort of) works.
>
> I say 'sort of' because
>
> 1) xterm fails to pick up the path from /etc/csh.login which i-
> Installer
> added, so invoking xdvi from xterm is more work than it should be.
> I can
> fix this in ~/.tcshrc, but that feels awfully crude.  Perhaps I
> need more
> tuning of X11. I am reading the Apple Mac OS X X11 pages now.

This is normal. xterm is not a login shell, which means it doesn't
use the path settings, defined in /etc/csh.login and /etc/profile,
that Terminal is using.

You have two "mainstream" solutions:

- Open the X11 applications from within Terminal, using open-x11, as
in "open-x11 xdvi".

- Copy the default Apple X11 initialization file /etc/X1/xinit/
xinitrc to your home directory as ~/.xinitrc and customize it to suit
your needs.

There does not seem to be, as for Terminal, a system-wide solution;
it seems the use of user-specific config files is required instead.

Peter Dyballa has, I think, an alternative solution allowing a
complete X11-based TeX setup to work on OS X, though I must admit I
didn't go through the details. It involves, I think, the use of
~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, and I'd rather stay away from that.

I tried to look at the X11 Help on my setup from the X11 application
but it doesn't seem to work. The documentation at Apple's site seems
to live at <http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/X11.html> and
all the pages referenced therein. See in particular the FAQ at
<http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1232.html>.

That said, for some reason on my setup when telling "open-x11 xdvi"
in Terminal I get nothing, and when telling " /usr/local/teTeX/bin/
powerpc-apple-darwin-current/xdvi" in X11 I get:

/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/xdvi: line 1:
kpsewhich: command not found
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/xdvi: line 46:
exec: xdvi-xaw.bin: not found

which probably simply reflects the absence of proper path settings.

Bruno Voisin