[OS X TeX] Re: dvips problem [with addendum]

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Jun 6 18:03:19 CEST 2006

Am 06.06.2006 um 13:42 schrieb Stephen Anderson:

> My own local maps are lcdftools.map and Adobe.map above -- why are
> these preceded by #! in the output?

This is a mysterious® thing ... Honestly, I think this happens when
at any time updmap (for you) or updmap-sys (for the whole system) is
run and it does not find these MAP file fragments it once had found
and active. It's just an observation, I never tried to take some
hours or a weekend to debug the updmap script (updmap-sys uses that
script, too). My recommended cure is (for private use without 'sudo -
H' and '-sys'):

	sudo -H updmap-sys --disable MAP.map
	sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map MAP.map

The --syncwithtrees options should be able to clean the list, but I
think it only comments unavailable MAP file fragment identifiers (in
German this would have been a real BIG word!). If you have the time:
can you check after the disable command whether the commented line
was removed? You seem to know how to use grep ...

> And another question: why two instances of tipa.map (one with #!
> and one without? In the process of running i-installer's
> configuration, tipa.map appears twice in the dialog about enabling
> maps: why? I do have another copy of the tipa files, but it's in my
> Documents directory, nowhere near ~/Library/texmf (or the root of
> the tetex tree).

Tipa gets added because it's part of gwTeX, so i-Installer does this
(and it also adds a Hebrew MAP file fragment without need). In the
end it does not matter whether a MAP file fragment is more than once
listed: the contents of the MAP files fragments gets sorted and
duplicates are removed for the final MAP files.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 Americans.