[OS X TeX] Re: dvips problem [with addendum]

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jun 6 14:11:44 CEST 2006

Le 6 juin 06 à 13:42, Stephen Anderson a écrit :

> Many thanks to Bruno, Peter, and Gerben for trying to fix my rather
> strange problem (tex support files failing to see things in my ~/
> Library/texmf tree).  But I'm afraid none of the suggestions
> offered have straightened things out.
>
> [...]
>
>> It may also result from the havoc in recent versions of TeXLive
>> caused by the change from updmap to updmap-sys etc. Do you have
>> generated files (ie that you didn't install yourself) in ~/Library/
>> texmf (like texmf.cnf, updmap.cfg, etc.)?
>
> Nope, none of those things.  All I have in ~/Library/texmf is my
> own local style files, font files for Adobe Garamond Pro and Adobe
> Warnock Pro, bibliography files, and the like.

I think it is precisely one of those things. For example, the logs in
your post include:

> /Users/sra/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.log

This directory ~/Library/texmf/web2c/ shouldn't exist: it has been
created when running updmap instead of updmap-sys.

It all looks like you've inherited the problems created by the new
TeXLive design, in which utilities like updmap have now two versions,
one updmap-sys intended to configure TeX on a computer-wide basis and
the other updmap intended to configure TeX on a per-user basis. The
BIG mistake was that the functionality of the former updmap is now
offered by updmap-sys, so that where you previously used "sudo
updmap" you should now use "sudo -H updmap-sys".

You probably have run updmap instead of updmap-sys, and similarly for
other TeX-configuration utilities, at some stage during the
transition from the former TeXLive design to the current TeXLive
design. This either occurred through a manual action of yours, or
automatically when running some interim version of the TeX i-Package.

As a result, some configuration files that should live in /usr/local/
teTeX/ have probably been created inside ~/Library/texmf/, like ~/
Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.log. They take precedence over any more
recent file in /usr/local/teTeX/, and aren't erased when reinstalling
TeX as you did attempt.

If that's indeed the correct explanation, then you should first
browse through your entire ~/Library/texmf/ directory and erase any
file that you haven't put there willingly (such as any generated file
updmap.cfg, texmf.cnf, fmtutil.cnf, psfonts.map, any .fmt file), at
any level of the directory tree. And then re-run the Configure stage
of the TeX i-Package.

Hope this helps,