[OS X TeX] TeXShop-2.10beta

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Jun 6 03:35:19 CEST 2006

On Jun 5, 2006, at 14:02, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2006, at 13:35, Maarten Sneep wrote:

>>> The engines can be made 'universal' by letting them invoke /usr/
>>> local/teTeX/bin/`uname -p`-apple-darwin-current/<utility> or by
>>> extending the search path with  /usr/local/teTeX/bin/`uname -p`-
>>> apple-darwin-current.
>>
>> Somehow, I think these instructions to build a fat^H^H^HUniversal
>> binary will give a more user friendly experience.
>> http://developer.apple.com/opensource/
>> buildingopensourceuniversal.html
>> From what I can see: all Jonathan has to do is
>>
>> lipo -arch i386 /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/
>> xetex \
>>      -arch ppc  /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/
>> xetex \
>>      -create -output xetex
>>
>> to create a new fat binary.
>
> Correct.
>
>> Now, it seems that gwTeX uses separate binaries at the moment, and
>> simply adds the correct architecture to the path, rather than
>> letting the OS figure things out at run-time.
>
> I follow TeX Live standards. I could produce fat binaries for TeX
> of course, but that would remove the choice for downloading only
> one architecture (in expert  mode of the TeX i-package)

What is the approximate size difference between universal binary and
single architecture?  Presumably people aren't using gwTeX on a
server that also has binaries for non-Apple systems (isn't that the
point of the arch-specific path?).

>> I don't know how the rest of TeX is handled (in TeXShop), but it
>> seems to me that XeTeX and gwTeX should be treated as similarly as
>> possible. A loger term solution that I can see is to (eventually)
>> create a universal set of tools.
>
> It is a difficult problem. Having universal binaries is easier for
> Dick but removes the download-only-what-you-need option.
>
> What is the community's opinion?

I'd go with what's easiest for you, but I think the universal
approach is less hassle for users, and more likely to be robust (say
if you're copying preference files between machines).  Of course,
you'll never get a really Mac-like ease of use from something with as
many arcane path and environment settings as TeX...

Adam