[OS X TeX] Placing eps figures

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Jun 3 13:11:41 CEST 2006

Le 3 juin 06 à 00:39, George Gratzer a écrit :

> You know, Bruno, it is really depressing what has happened with
> Textures.
>
> [...]
>
> It is also a sad tale about Textures and Barry, the inventor of
> Synchronization.

Yes, I do feel like you. I really liked Textures and the way that it
made TeX look like any normal Mac application, with a Textures
document being a normal Mac file and not a collection of .tex, .dvi
and .log files, and with different actions being associated with
different menus of the same application (TeX through the Typeset
menu, View through the View menu, Print through the File menu, add
pictures in the Pictures window) instead of a collection of separate
applications. That's what I liked about OzTeX too, except for its
absence of an integrated text editor.

I had heard about TeX first in ~ 1987 at a time I was working on DEC
VAX 750 and 780 computers IIRC, but I had not paid attention to it
given its CLI-oriented nature. Then, after brief attempts at
ChiWriter and then Mathor (a French-specific similar application) in
DOS on PCs, a friend made me discover the Mac and I turned to
MacWrite and Expressionist. Had it not been for Textures, integrating
TeX inside a nice GUI, I would probably never had gone back to TeX.

At times when seeing an announcement like the one from 9 March at
<http://www.bluesky.com/news/news_frames.html>, some hope comes back.
But then, when seeing nothing happen visibly, I tend to speak again
of Textures in the past tense. In any case, as long as the Blue Sky
web site is still online, there's still hope!