[OS X TeX] i-Installer 2.78 released

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Thu Jun 1 23:52:31 CEST 2006

On Jun 1, 2006, at 21:57, Robert Bruner wrote:

> Matthias Damm wrote:
>
>> Am 01.06.2006 um 13:56 schrieb Gerben Wierda:
>>
>>> Bottom line: i-Installer 2.78 is safe to use (of course as far as I
>>> know
>>> and as with any software distribution: use at your own risk) and
>>> will not
>>> even trigger the OS X freeze bug on an 10.4.6 + QT 7.1 system.
>>
>> Thanks a lot Gerben!
>>
>> The only thing I noticed is that the "Please upgrade OS X" message is
>> still displayed on startup.
>
> I second the thanks, having a new Intel machine with 10.4.6 and
> w/o Tex!
>
> The startup message I got said up or down grade the OS!

Yes. I still consider 10.4.6 an unstable release of Mac OS X 10.4 for
intel. Now that QT 7.1.1 is out, the huge freeze problem seems to be
fixed (and the QT 7.1.1 mentions problems with startup items, but it
was far wider and deeper than that), but I do also recall problems with
10.4.6 *without* the QT upgrade. I consider 10.4.3 the last stable
version of OS X intel. I expect 10.4.7 (expected to be out soon) to be
again stable. Hence the warning. Soon, the warning will be very
functional and I did not want to wait until 10.4.7 for my actual
release (in fact I got requests not to wait) or do two releases back to
back.

> Two oddities:  on http://ii2.sourceforge.net/
> the link for i-Installer v2. simply returns you to the same page.

Yep. the update of the web site was stalled and I had not noticed yet.
Thanks for mentioning.

> Also, http://ii2.sourceforge.net/tex-index.html
> seems to end mid sentence:
>
> 	* use pdftex which directly creates PDF from TeX without going via
> 	Postscript. By default, most front ends on the Mac will use this
> route.
> 	But you win some (speed, simplicity, some special PDF options) and you
> 	lose some. What you mainly use

Fixed. Thanks.