[OS X TeX] metapost vs metapost

Robert Spence spence at saar.de
Sat Jul 29 22:59:14 CEST 2006

Dear Bruce,

Franck Pastor has just answered your question far better than I could
have.  Just one additional point, though:  as an alternative to the
mfpic package, which uses (La)TeX style commands with initial
backslashes, there's the emp ("Encapsulated METAPOST for LaTeX")
package by Thorsten Ohl, which allows you to write pure METAPOST code
(no backslashes!) in a special environment within your LaTeX source
file.  If you're interested in working through the examples in
Hobby's manual, the emp package will let you do just that.  (On the
other hand, you might not want to go too deeply into METAPOST, and
might feel more comfortable with the mfpic syntax.)

You may already have the emp package on your system.  If not, you
could check out the documentation on your local CTAN mirror.  For
example, I was directed a moment ago from the central CTAN server to
the following address:
ftp://ftp.uni-bielefeld.de/pub/tex/macros/latex/contrib/emp/empman.pdf

Running METAPOST from within LaTeX using a package like emp is a bit
safer than running METAPOST directly, in my opinion.

Also, if you're really serious about METAPOST, it might be worth
checking out ConTeXt as an alternative to LaTeX (provided you've got
the time to learn yet _more_ new syntax!)

Good luck,

-- Robert Spence
Applied Linguistics
Saarland University