OT: How I hate Adobe, let me count the ways (was Re: [OS X TeX] OT: log from Acrobat 7.0)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Jul 25 11:41:16 CEST 2006

On Jul 24, 2006, at 4:50 PM, Jens Noeckel wrote:

> Regarding William's earlier email: I didn't completely understand
> the list of tasks you listed in the previous message, but I have a
> feeling that it's not as bad in Illustrator.

If you don't understand the tasks, how can you be qualified to judge?
I know that sounds nasty, but I'm really tired of people telling me
how bloody wonderful Illustrator is and then _not_ being able to
address the (in)efficiencies of even the most basic usage, to wit:

> Maybe for those who need to use Illustrator, the following link
> with keyboard shortcuts could be helpful:
>
> http://www.nobledesktop.com/shortcuts-illustratorcs2-mac.html
>
> (look for the zoom shortcuts, e.g.)

Nope. There aren't equivalent efficiencies available. e.g.,

    * zoom out to selection

This is a single command in Macromedia FreeHand (Command-zero using
the FH8 shortcuts which're similar enough to Altsys Virtuoso that
they're hard-wired into my organic system). It not only zooms out to
precisely the zoom level it encompasses the currently selected
object, it also re-sets the window coordinates to be centered on it.
In Illustrator one instead needs to tap <Command>- (or +) a variable
number of times depending on the current zoom and what's selected,
you also have to manually scroll until what you're working on is
within the window bounds, and even then, it's probably not perfectly
centered.

Even something simple like:

    - set document width

Is a much more labour-intensive process in AI than in FH. In FH, the
document inspector is persistent and remains on-screen, so no need to
conjure forth a modal dialog (at least it's no longer a finger-
twisting mashing of four keys --- in CS2 it's ``only'' 3), click in
the correct text box, key in the number and then click OK or press
enter. Four steps instead of 3 and that's just one example.

Far more egregious is the matter of selecting an object which isn't
at the top of a stack, in FreeHand one can <Control>-click through
each object of the stack --- one action per object and one doesn't
have to move the mouse. In Illustrator one has to use a contextual
menu item (which is in a sub-menu!) or dig through the Layers palette.

I've been having this conversation for years....

> I find I can be very fast and productive with Illustrator (after it
> has started up under Rosetta..............). Finally: Illustrator
> is still my first choice for SVG export. It's extremely important
> in my opinion that you can get complete control over almost
> anything in Illustrator using Javascript. That's Javascript, NOT
> Applescript, mark you! To me, that's still worth paying for.

I didn't say Illustrator wasn't worth paying for (if you're doing
graphic design you really have little choice but to own the full
Creative Suite and Quark XPress at a minimum --- depending on your
specific field you'll then need either certain XTensions or plug-ins
or specialty software such as Deneba Canvas) but that it's sub-
optimal in terms of its interface and production capabilities.

I tell you what, if you're interested (let me know off-list) I'll
send you a sample graphic and if you think you can create a set of
JavaScripts which will make processing it in AI anywhere near as
efficient as in FH we'll negotiate what you think is fair payment-
wise. I don't think it'll be easy given things like....

There is _no_ equivalent in it to FreeHand's Graphics-Find-and-
Replace, so checking line weights to comply w/ a given printer's pre-
press settings is an endless clicking and checking as opposed to a
single setting of a palette and a click and a setting of all minimal
line-weights.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.