[OS X TeX] Potentially OT question: recovering deleted TeXShop documents

David Watson dewatson at mac.com
Sun Jul 23 05:27:40 CEST 2006

I would suggest, if recovering the data essential to your work, to
first shut down your computer immediately.

Next either boot from an external firewire disk or some other
recovery disk that does not use the built-in hard drive. Any writes
to the disk, even if they are related to virtual memory use, will
eventually overwrite the data on your disk. If you have a computer
with an easily accessible hard disk, you might want to take the disk
out after you have shut it down, and then use something like what is
listed here: http://wiebetech.com/products/MacRecovery.php.
(wiebetech seems to suggest using DR). You could also put your
computer into Target Disk mode (firewire) if that is an option, and
connect it to another mac.

If you can make a backup of your drive, say with "dd" from the
command line, then you can use a simple perl script to search through
the disk image for words that you know to be in your working
directory files. Using file magic, you can extract most of the files
verbatim, if they are written to disk in sequential sectors. I have
used this technique to rescue entire jpegs from a corrupted digital
camera memory card. Without professional tools, the limitation is in
the file system used to store the data, as many file systems do not
store data in sequential sectors.