[OS X TeX] MacTeX installer and man pages

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at iwu.edu
Fri Jul 21 18:59:46 CEST 2006

On Jul 21, 2006, at 11:50 AM, Justin C. Walker wrote:
> Just a followup (should have said it explicitly in my previous
> response): I would consider modifying 'man.conf' (at least on later
> versions of Mac OS X), rather than relying on MANPATH; I use the
> latter only for testing and quick checks.  The former is the
> preferred means to configure the 'man' command.

Can you elaborate on that a bit? I am far from a Unix expert, but it
was my understanding that it's situations like this that environment
variables are good for. It just seems to me weird that after using
the path in MANPATH and not finding any matches, man wouldn't go on
to try the method specified by man.conf.
I am just curious what the reason, if any, behind it is, if anyone
knows.
> Cheers,
>
> Justin

Haris