[OS X TeX] Installing non-Mac Tex System

Rick Hogg eulipion2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 20 18:55:14 CEST 2006

Hello,
I just installed Xubuntu Linux on an old iMac, and
felt the need to install TexLive, but I can't quite
figure out how to get it working.  I know it's not a
Mac-related issue, but I don't know what usergroup to
use, and since I'm already a member of this
list, and since I'm sure some of you have done this on
Linux, well...ta-da!

Basically, I have this huge TexLive directory
installed in /usr/local/texlive, but I can't seem to
find any executables.  I followed the directions (sh
install-tl.sh), and even opting to install symlinks
into "standard" directories, well, it doesn't.  In
fact, the path it wants me to add to my .profile
doesn't exist.

The docs say that the path to the executables is
/usr/local/texlive/2005/bin/archname, however there is
no /bin/ directory in 2005/.  I can't find an
executable anywhere in the entire texlive directory.
The contents of my 2005 directory are:
texmf, texmf-dist, texmf-doc, texmf-var, xemtex.

Any help, or a Unix Tex mailing list I could subscribe
to would be great!

Thanks,
Rick