[OS X TeX] Standard preamble

Chris Goedde cgoedde at condor.depaul.edu
Tue Jul 18 17:43:33 CEST 2006

On Jul 18, 2006, at 10:26 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> As I am working on the "magnum opus", because my knowledge of LaTeX is
> extremely limited, I keep modifying the preamble. But because the
> magnum opus is made of more and more files, I am having an
> increasingly terrible time keeping all the preambles the same.
>
> Is there a way each file could have a minimum preamble, say with just
> a command to use the stuff in a "central" file which would then be the
> only file I would modify?

An alternative to the previous suggestions is to put your preamble in a
style file (i.e. mypreamble.sty) and then include it via the
\usepackage{} command (i.e. \usepackage{mypreamble}). I think that this
is much cleaner than using \input or \include. You can stick the style
file in a place where TeX will find it (mine is in
~/Library/texmf/tex/latex) and then you can use it for anything you
TeX.

(Note, you might have to make some slight changes in your preamble if
you make it a style file and you used some tricky TeX. By default, @ is
treated differently in a style file than in a plain TeX file.)

--
Chris Goedde