[OS X TeX] Xindy?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jul 17 11:41:30 CEST 2006

Am 17.07.2006 um 09:55 schrieb Simon Spiegel:

>> Fink may or may not interfere with this installation, if it fails
>> try again with /sw removed from the search path.
>
> Stupid question: Which search path and how do I remove something
> from it?

The easiest method, that also provides other advantages, is the env
programme. Env builds kind of a shell or filter or armour around a
process, a UNIX programme invocation. The general syntax is:

	env VAR1=this VAR2="that other" programme [arguments]

So you can retrieve with env first which PATH is valid in your shell.
Then you can copy from this value these elements that do not start
with /sw and combine them to the new value only for the three steps
of creating xindy, i.e. you need to prepend this three times. As
already mentioned, the elements in PATH are separated by colons. ``.
´´ is a valid element, it makes a shell interpreter find executable
files in the current working directory, making the "./programme"
syntax unnecessary. It also allows some non-qualified thing (virus,
trojan horse, nonsense ...) to be found in place of some UNIX tool.
(Example: if ``.´´ comes early enough in your PATH and you want to
list a directory's contents with ls and this directory has an
executable file of the name ls, then this [./]ls would be used -- and
it could be a link to rm or such. Without ``.´´ in PATH you would
need to invoke ./ls to create some space on your disk.)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night, but set a man on
fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.