[OS X TeX] Xindy?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 16 22:36:36 CEST 2006

On 16-jul-2006, at 22:17, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> I'm a bit late to reply on this, I just came back from my
> vacations. Thank you very much for providing this, I'll check it
> and give my feedback next week.

I (and the xindy mailing list people) are still interested in reports
on installing the source package at http://dev.atmarama.org/xindy-2.2-
beta2.tar.gz
This package is intended to become the default install method for
Xindy. The package works for me with:

download and unarchive:
	curl -O http://dev.atmarama.org/xindy-2.2-beta2.tar.gz
	tar -xzf xindy-2.2-beta2.tar.gz
	cd xindy-2.2-beta2
Configure:
	./configure
Build:
	make
Sanity check:
	make check
Install:
	sudo make install

The defaults for the configure are sane (it uses the tree at /usr/
local). Make sure none of the CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, ...FLAGS environment
variables are set, issuing "env | grep FLAG" should produce no
output. Fink may or may not interfere with this installation, if it
fails try again with /sw removed from the search path.

After that you can verify that the install works with this simple
file "elementary.idx":

\indexentry{test}{1}

and call

     texindy elementary.idx

The resulting file elementary.ind must look like:

\begin{theindex}

   \textbf{T}
   \item test, 1

\end{theindex}

This elementary test file already uses all plugins, and produces
quite some output to stderr.

Hope this helps. If this fails, please report back with OS version,
type of machine (PPC/Intel), version of the compiler and developer
tools version. You may need to download the 900+ MB developer tools
update. Yes, that is quite a lot to download.

Maarten