[OS X TeX] RTF2LaTeX2e (was: new fat i-Packages)

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sat Jul 15 18:37:16 CEST 2006

Dear Herbert,

Thank you for yor patience.

I am sure Apple could make much profit by selling bundles of a
machine and a Unix boot camp week (generally more expensive than the
machine).

My problem now is this one :

           -bash: rtf2latex2e: command not found

When I installed rtf2latex2e via i-installer, maybe such a thing
should have been done :  "A symbolic link /usr/bin/rtf2latex2e
pointing to the binary is created." So, I have to do it by myself.

I supposed I must consider myself as a Unix user, although not willing.

The Install note says I must type in the Terminal "./configure", then
"make", then "make install". Many question remains: how does the
system know that "configure" and "make" refer to rtf2latex2e? After a
few seconds of brilliant thinking, the solutions comes: you have to
type these commands from the directory where rtf2latex2e.bin stands.
Does not work, but there is a "Unix" subdirectory which contains file
named "configure" and "Makefile", and there, it almost works.

"configure" works, but "make" and "make install" do not, they end
into Error 1. When trying the command "rtf2latex2e", I get the same
answer as at the beginning:   -bash: rtf2latex2e: command not found.

Conclusions: 1) To install Unix software, you have to think by
yourself (I hate that).
2) At the end, it never works.

André