[OS X TeX] latex spotlight plugin with X windows Emacs?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Jul 15 05:29:20 CEST 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 16:14, Brian P. Flaherty wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've read a lot of the archives on getting spotlight to work with
> tex/latex flies, but I haven't been able to get this working.  I
> should note, I'm coming from Solaris and Linux, so I'm not that
> familiar with the Mac/Apple way of doing everything.
>
> I have texlive installed in /usr/local and I have emacs-devel from
> Darwinports installed in /opt/local/bin.  By using an extension
> manager, I can click on an *.tex file in Finder and emacs (under X,
> not Emacs.app) starts.  I downloaded the LaTeX MDImporter.pkg from
> the YACED sourceforge site and installed it in ~/Library/
> Spotlight.  I also have DVIImporter and tarimporter in that
> directory too.  I then rebuilt the spotlight index with
>
> sudo mdutil -E /
>
> DVI files now show up when I search for a term in spotlight, but
> tex files don't.  Is there a way to activate the LaTeX MDImporter
> in parallel with X Windows/Emacs?

That depends on how the "extension manager" you referred to works.
In Terminal, try

touch ~/test.tex
mdimport -d3 ~/test.tex

and look for the kMDItemContentType.  On my system (which doesn't
have a TeX importer installed), I see kMDItemContentType =
"dyn.ah62d4rv4ge81k3p2", where the dyn.* indicates the system doesn't
have a UTI for that file type.  Unless the UTI is defined by an
application, and you have an MDImporter associated with that UTI,
Spotlight won't search the files.

If you don't mind programming, you should be able to write a trivial
application that claims ownership of the LaTeX MDImporter-defined UTI
and just launches emacs under X via NSTask via open-x11.

Adam