[OS X TeX] Re: Lucida and Beamer

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Fri Jul 14 04:20:41 CEST 2006

On Jul 4, 2006, at 12:30 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 30 juin 06 à 20:52, Leslie W Morland a écrit :
>
>>            I tried the lucida fonts with beamerclass 'slides" made
>> for a research talk, essentially a selection of equations and text
>> taken from a full paper which outputs perfectly. I discovered that
>> bars, hats and tildes over symbols now produce a large blotch. Is
>> this a beamer feature,
>> so cm must be used, or another glitch which can be remedied. I do
>> not understand why class beamer should differ for symbols from
>> class article, but though it might be something you are aware of,
>> or which intrigues you. Clearly not a problem which matters to my
>> work.
>
> Hi Leslie,
>
> Sorry but I can't help: I've never used beamer or any other LaTeX
> slide-oriented package (except for slide.cls itself, long ago), and
> I've no plan to use it in the near future. For the moment I'm doing
> all my presentations in Keynote, sometimes converting to PowerPoint
> afterwards when mandatory.
>
> Maybe Gary Gray or another Lucida afficionado on the OS X TeX list
> could help. But a minimal example would be required (minimal LaTeX
> file displaying the problem).
>
> A possibility may be simply that the order in which amssymb.sty and
> lucidabr.sty are loaded matters. You should first check from
> the .log file what are the packages called silently by the beamer
> class, and how they could interfere with lucidabr.sty.
>
> Sorry for the late answer, I've been away last week and I'm still
> catching up with the accumulated mail.

I just tried a beamer presentation I have with Lucida. I used:

\documentclass[color={dvipsnames,usenames}]{beamer}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[expert,altbullet,lucidasmallscale]{lucidabr}

and everything works very nicely accept that accents seem to all be
broken (for me, it is dots and hats). As Leslie Morland observed,
this also includes bars and tildes. I am not sure what is going on
here. It does the same thing even if I don't load the AMS packages.
Now, if you remove:

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

it looks good, except that the fonts are no longer sans serif. It
must have something to do with the way beamer is redefining fonts to
make everything come out sans serif (I am in over my head there).

I wish I could help more, but it sounds like this needs to be taken
to the author of beamer. I have cc'ed this reply to Till Tantau in
hopes that he will reply with some insight.

Regards,
Gary L. Gray                                    Phone: (814) 863-1778
Associate Professor                               Fax: (814) 865-9974
Engineering Science and Mechanics           E-mail: gray at engr.psu.edu
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802-6812
USA