[OS X TeX] New alpha Textures with support for graphics

Alex Scorpan scorpan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 20:52:49 CEST 2006

>> Ex. 1. Search and replace in a 300 pages document. Textures does
>> it in a fraction of second, whereas Texshop gets lost. Maybe only
>> when the word to search contains an antislash symbol, but I am not
>> sure. Anyway, words with antislash are quite common in TeX. So
>> when we have such an operation to execite in Texshp, we prefer to
>> open the file in MacOS9 system for a while.
>
> I disagree. TeXShop does a very nice job with this and is blazingly
> fast. I have never had any trouble.

Judging from the problems with backslash, you might have "Regular
Expressions" checked in your Find pane.  Uncheck it, as "\" is a
special symbol in regular-expression based searches.

>> Ex. 3. When TeX halts because of an error, Textures is not so
>> stupid to stop in the middle of a word in the .aux file, a feature
>> of Texshop that is bound to yields error when you restart
>> typesetting. Of course the authors of Texshop know that, this why
>> you have a button named "Trash Aux Files".
>
> I have experienced this, but I must say that I only need to
> trash .aux files about once or twice a year. I can't remember the
> last time I had to do it.

Depending on the file and the amount of writing to .aux (for example,
while using hyperref), it can happen after almost each error-stop.

> I guess I am surprised that everyone is so excited about Textures

I guess the power of Nostalgia is great in these ones.

Alex