[OS X TeX] New alpha Textures with support for graphics

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Thu Jul 13 20:58:29 CEST 2006

I just want to make my point clear.

>> Ex. 7. BlueSKy Research would never have introduced a feature like
>> texdoc in Textures without telling anybody. (Of course, Texshop
>> (or teTeX) has texdoc, and Textures had not.)
>
> Of course they don't have it so why would they tell you about it?
>
> Ummm... Gerben did inform us all about texdoc after he set it up in
> his distribution.

What about all the people who do not receive Gerben's mails ? For
example, I learned about texdoc by chance, on this forum, and this
morning, Franck Pastor did not know what texdoc was.
My point is that :
1) Sometimes a commercial software with a complete doc may be useful ;
2) TeX gurus are also useful, but it's a hard job. I am the teX guru
of my wife and several colleagues : all of them do not even know the
name of Gerben. And they forget it whenever I tell them (e. g., find
out Gerben Wierda on Google, then download i-Installer, etc.) ;
3) Many people don't even have a guru.

> I believe texdoc is a standard part of several TeX distributions.

Most people I know (mathematicians) want to know at most one TeX
distribution.

>> ! LaTeX Error: File `./chap001/Fig-01-02' not found.
>> \includegraphics[scale=0.7]{./chap001/Fig-01-02}}
>> (The file does exist, of course.)

> I assume you're using latex+distiller processing in TeXShop. Add
> ``--extradvipsopts "-R0"'' (without the leading `` and trailing ''
> of course) to the two TeX+dvips+distiller engines in TeXShop-
> >Preferences->Engine tab.

How could have I guessed all this by myself ? How did you learn about
it ? (This is the same point as above !)

Thank you Herb for your help,

André Bellaïche