[OS X TeX] Figure across pages

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at iwu.edu
Thu Jul 13 20:05:33 CEST 2006

I figured it out with the good help of the LaTeX companion and the
caption package. For people not following this thread, the goal was
to make sure that a figure following another figure is printed with
something like “Figure 2(cont.):”, and making sure it has the same
number as the previous figure. We further wanted subfigures to be
numbered properly.
You would have to add the following two lines in the preamble:

\usepackage{caption}
\DeclareCaptionLabelFormat{cont}{#1\nobreakspace#2\nobreakspace(cont.)}

The “cont” here is the name with which we will refer to this format
in the code later on. #1 stands for the text creating the word
“Figure”, while #2 stands for the figure number.
Then, where you want the figure to continue and print: Figure 2
(cont.):  , you do this:

{\captionsetup[figure]{labelformat=cont}
\begin{figure}[htbp]\centering \ContinuedFloat
   \subfloat[After the second critical point.]{\includegraphics
[scale=0.3]{pics/basisFig7a.jpg}\label{basissubfig7}}
   \subfloat[After all critical points.]{\includegraphics[scale=0.3]
{pics/basisFig8a.jpg}\label{basissubfig8}}
\caption[]{Demonstration of the process of obtaining the basis. (cont.)}
   \label{fig:proofDemonstration2}
\end{figure}}

Note the \caption[] part, this prevents anything from showing up at
the list of figures. I've also enclosed the thing in braces, to make
the \captionsetup change local to that one part, so that subsequent
figures don't get affected by it. Finally, the \ContinuedFloat
instruction tells it to keep the numbering as if it was continuing
the previous figure, i.e. not increase its counter, and not restart
the subfigure counter.

Many thanks to Bruno, Victor, William and George for their help and
their comments.