[OS X TeX] New alpha Textures with support for graphics

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jul 13 17:54:14 CEST 2006

Le 13 juil. 06 à 16:57, André Bellaïche a écrit :

> Le 13 juil. 06 à 16:30, Kevin Walzer a écrit :
>
>> Just curious--what does Textures offer that TexShop et. al does
>> not? I
>> tried to download a version to try, but apparently you already
>> need to
>> be a registered customer. (This company charges $30 just to demo
>> one of
>> its other products...)
>
> [...]
>
> i'll send you more examples when I think about them. This occurs
> quite frequently, since I work all the day on Texshop after having
> been very happy with Textures for years.

An atypical example, which just came to mind when browsing through
old Textures files: Imagine you're using KaleidaGraph for processing
and plotting experimental data (you'll be surprised at the number of
my colleagues who still use KaleidaGraph daily, in spite of its quasi-
absence of development -- other than adaptation to OS X -- for
several years now). KaleidaGraph doesn't do EPS files; however, it
does do what it calls "PostScript PICT", namely PICT files with EPS
code hidden in PICT comment fields. Textures being able to include
PICT files, it can use these hidden EPS data to draw the KaleidaGraph
plots when included in TeX documents.

It's possible XeTeX allows this as well, I haven't checked.

Moreover, trying again to compile files, OS X Textures seems
lightning fast!