[OS X TeX] pdfsync changes page breaks?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jul 10 11:15:25 CEST 2006

Le 9 juil. 06 à 06:32, Ross Moore a écrit :

> BTW, if you are wondering about how Textures managed synchronization,
> and whether there were similar problems there, the answer is "no".
>
> This is because Textures had its own integrated viewer, so the same
> Application was handling both the editing and viewing windows, as
> well as the internal processing. This gave Textures  the luxury of
> being able
> to extend the data-structure used to represent letters and symbols,
> so as to
> include the file-name and location within that file whence each
> character came.
> This is completely orthogonal to the actual typesetting,
> so the previously-described effects would not occur.
>
> Recall that Textures did not produce a .dvi file as a result of
> typesetting.
> To get one, you needed to "Export" the typeset window to a .dvi file.
> One step in this procedure is stripping out that extra structure.
> (If you re-Import the Exported .dvi file, then there's no
> synchronisation
>  --- well, there isn't really any .tex source to synchronise with,
> anymore.)
> It'll be interesting to see how the new TeXtures manages
> sychronisation
> with .pdf output, or whether that will similarly require use of an
> Export option.

Hi Ross,

While it's true that Textures did not produce a .dvi file as a result
of typesetting, on the other hand it did produce dvi output, included
in the Textures file (corresponding to TeX's .tex or .ltx file) in
the form of resources of type DVI2.

I didn't suspect the existence of this extra step when shipping the
DVI2 resources to an external .dvi file. Thanks, as always, for your
illuminating analysis.

I did check with ResPloder and ResEdit: the new OS X Textures does
use resources as well, of different types icns and usro. I don't see
what these mean; it seems the usro resource keeps track of the fact
that the file was created by Textures.app. However, none of the
resources of Classic Textures files (such as *FMT for keeping track
of the TeX format, PREC for keeping track of printer settings, rTEX
for keeping track of Edit window settings -- font, size, window size
and position etc. --, DVI2 for Preview window content) seem to exist
anymore. As a consequence, the Preview window has to be recreated
each time the OS X Textures document is opened (and the selection of
the format, of Flash Mode etc. have all to be redone as well).

It seems a bit awkward to use resources in an OS X application, as
resources seem a thing of the past, especially in OS X Tiger. I hope
their use by OS X Textures is an interim measure, and that a move to
a bundle structure -- keeping separate .dvi etc. files invisible to
the user in a folder appearing as a single file to this user -- will
be performed at a later stage.

After a bit of experimentation with OS X Textures, it seems the most
serious limitation at this stage is the impossibility to include
graphics: I attempted to use Texturest for a paper, but couldn't
include figures; I attempted to use Textures for a business letter,
but couldn't include logos. Let's hope, and see how that evolves.