[OS X TeX] Novice questions: Including graphics in Plain TeX, pdfsync, controlling page sizes

Robert Spence spence at saar.de
Sat Jul 8 22:42:57 CEST 2006

Dear Fellow Novice,

On 08 Jul 2006, at 19:51 , AES wrote:

> 1)  Including graphics in LaTeX documents works fine, but can one
> also include graphics in Plain TeX documents using TeXShop?  What
> formats are possible, and how to do it?  (The TeXShop and MacTeX
> documentation is unclear, to me anyway, on this point.)

I found the following piece of advice from Herb Schulz in response to
a similar question posted on ApfelWiki back on January 11
(http://www.apfelwiki.de/forum/viewtopic.php?
p=1829&sid=a2b87661c697b2e6d35dc527ffe12ae7):
---------

I think you can

\input graphicx.tex

and then use

\includegraphics{path/to/file}

with some restrictions on what kind of file can be included depending
upon whether you use pdftex or tex+dvips+distiller (tex+ghostscript).
--------

I just tried this out, and it worked for a .jpg file with the "Plain
TeX" and "Pdftex" options chosen in the "Typeset" menu, and for
an .eps file with the "Plain TeX" and "TeX and Ghostscript" options
chosen.  I'm not sure about other graphics formats.

> 2)  Getting pdfsync to work?  The pdfsync.tex file is installed in
> ~/Library/texmf/tex/plain/, and the other pdfsync files are also in
> their appropriate places, but nothing happens in Plain TeX.
>
> (And by the way, does "texmf" stand for something:  "master files"?
> "metafont"?

It stands for the (blissful) union of TeX and METAFONT.

Good luck!

-- Robert Spence
Applied Linguistics
Saarland University