[OS X TeX] verbatim problems

George Gratzer gratzer at ms.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jul 7 17:21:32 CEST 2006

It is interesting that everybody assumed (including me) that just
because the error message is

l.712    Algebra",^^M

the document has either a line ending problem or a foreign character.

On p. 54 of Math into LaTeX, third edition, I write:

> For instance, if I were to typeset First Steps into LaTeX, with the
> closing brace of the first
> caption command on line 480 of the source file missing, I would get
> the error message
>
> ! Text line contains an invalid character.
> l.1227 ...pletely irreducible^^?
>
> where the reference is to line 1227 (about 700 lines removed from
> the actual error).

And this reference is to a line in a verbatim environment!

My document has regular Unix line endings (Dick checked this with a
hex dump). This is not
surprising since this was my first suspicion too, so I used BBEdit to
change the end of line characters to Unix.

I have not been able to determine what caused this strange behaviour.
Luckily, we do not need verbatim,
we can always use the good old \verb. A few minutes more work, but
solid.

Am I the only one with this experience?

GG