[OS X TeX] Fonts ay PracTeX

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at cox.net
Wed Jul 5 12:53:53 CEST 2006

At Practical TeX 2006 (being held at Rutgers, LaTeX Workshop: July
25-28, 2006; Practical TeX Conference: July 30-August 1, 2006 --
visit http://www.tug.org for more information) there will be a some
good discussion of fonts and how we get them to work effectively in TeX.

We all work with fonts, and occasionally (often?!) have to install
new fonts  for TeX. But, Oh!, the pain. Fontinst is very clever, but
not easily grasped and used. So the question is: What do you do to
deal with new fonts? Have you found nifty tools and workarounds to
make the process of teaching TeX about new fonts easier?  Have you
found ways of getting the old tools to do new and interesting (and
time saving!) things? In short, what do you do to make dealing with
fonts in  TeX easier? We're having a discussion of these issues and
trying to come up  with new approaches at PracTeX '06.

And then there is XeTeX -- the spectacular new tool from Jonathan Kew
that liberates users from the nightmare of TeX font installation.
Will Robertson's 'fontspec' for XeTeX is an amazing package for LaTeX
users. If you haven't tried them together you are missing an
amazingly empowering TeX experience. If you use these tools for your
work we'd love to see some samples!

Consider this: suppose for a moment that you had at your disposal a
magical TeX font installer. What would it do? What would it automate?
What would it look like? What information would it require?

All these issues are things that we would like to look at in a
session at PracTeX 2006 at Rutgers. We'd like to get the discussion
rolling now so that we have something to offer and to share at PracTeX.

There is a list of resources available at:

	http://www.tug.org/mactex/fonts/

Lots of information there! Let's get the discussion started...

Share your experiences with us!

Stephen Moye