[OS X TeX] Alternative Method of Labeling Figures with Illustrator

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Jul 1 15:05:43 CEST 2006

Le 26 juin 06 à 22:23, Jan Hegewald a écrit :

> Le 26 juin 06 à 19:24, Jung-Tsung Shen a écrit :
>
>> I encountered this situation myself not too long ago. I have a figure
>> generated by Mathematica. The size of the EPS was 12 MB. Even
>> though I
>> managed to have it shrunk to ~3MB, it was still very difficult to
>> manage for my poor PowerBook. Each time it spent a long long time to
>> draw the results on my screen when processed. This new method however
>> has one less step and indeed saved me some time (whether my time was
>> meaningful or not is out of the question. :P )
>
> are you talking about Illustrator? It is awfully slooow when
> drawing graphics. It's not you PowerBook to blame ...

Enough RAM sure makes a difference, on either the CPU or the
graphical card. Illustrator sure is a beast, with cluttered GUI,
panels everywhere eating up screen space (compare with Pages' or
Keynote's unique Inspector panel), and it is sssso slow!
Unfortunately it includes functionality that I don't know how to get
with other tools, and time is short for researching for these tools.

I experienced similar problems with Plot3D graphics created in
Mathematica using PlotPoints -> {601, 601}. The graphics saved to EPS
from within Mathematica were about 25 MB each, becoming 50 MB after
addition of axis labels in Illustrator then saving as EPS. Attempting
to move a label in Illustrator (with the mouse) caused Illustrator to
become unresponsive for more than 30 s, and then it took it several
minutes to redraw the graphics; it's only then that you could figure
out where your mouse gesture had finally positioned the label. Useless!

That wasn't even the worse of it: with the initial RAM (512 MB) of my
17" PowerBook G4 1 GHz, Illustrator crashed while attempting to save
the graphics to Illustrator format; only saving to EPS format did
work, and it took about 45 mins (I'm not kidding!) for the Save
operation to complete, during which Illustrator was eating up about
80 % of the CPU and the fans were spinning all the time.

Finally after upgrading the RAM to 1 GB Illustrator could save the
files to Illustrator format. However, the Save time was unreasonably
long all the same. Since then, I've always advised my colleagues to
upgrade the RAM of the graphical card whenever Apple offers the
option. 128 MB is seemingly not enough for Illustrator, 256 MB should
be better. Or is Illustrator designed intentionally such that it
performs so bad on Mac OS? Sometimes I really wonder (seriously!).

In the case of the Mathematica figures, I finally had to give up on
the EPS or PDF versions completely (there were not manageable by most
current software, and when included in a paper yielded a PDF file too
big for online use). Instead, I've had to use lower-resolution JPEG
versions, about 500 KB big for every original 25 MB EPS figure.

Bruno Voisin