[OS X TeX] Re: paths for graphics files

Ralph Martin Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Mon Jan 30 16:46:42 CET 2006

On 30 Jan 2006, at 3:26, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 30.01.2006 um 16:15 schrieb Arthur Snoke:
>
>> One thing that works on the Sun but not on the Mac is a relative
>> path to a graphics file.  On the sun, it works fine:
>>
>> [1] [2] [3] <../images/ccd2.eps> [4] [5] (otoday.aux) )
>> (see the transcript file for additional information)
>
> This is for security reasons! dvips is not allowed to search/look
> 'upwards' for a file to include. The -R option is connected to this
> behaviour. I think this behaviour cannot be switched off ...
>
> Maybe it works when you get an elder version of dvips (TeX Live 2004).

This does not make sense. If you don't want dvips to have access to
other files, set permissions appropriately. Why shouldn't a program I
run be able to access anything I can access otherwise?

Actually, this behaviour is a real pain when you wish to share
illustrations between several different publications, and I much
prefer the "old" way of doing things.

It also makes it hardware to co-author papers with guys using e.g.
Windows or Solaris, and for whom this does work.

Any chance we can rethink this decision?

Best wishes

Ralph
--
Prof Ralph Martin           Phone: +44(0)29 2087 5536
School of Computer Science  Fax:   +44(0)29 2087 4598
Cardiff University          Email: mailto:ralph at cs.cf.ac.uk
5 The Parade, Roath         WWW:   http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/
Cardiff, CF24 3AA, UK       VOIP:  sip:17476235487 at proxy01.sipphone.com