[OS X TeX] Re: paths for graphics files

Arthur Snoke snoke at vt.edu
Mon Jan 30 16:15:34 CET 2006

I am converting from Sun Solaris teTeX to Gerben's OS X version.  One
thing that works on the Sun but not on the Mac is a relative path to a
graphics file.  On the sun, it works fine:

[1] [2] [3] <../images/ccd2.eps> [4] [5] (otoday.aux) )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Output written on otoday.dvi (5 pages, 7088 bytes).
Transcript written on otoday.log.
This is dvips(k) 5.86 Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)

Of relevance is the ../images/ccd2.eps and maybe the version of dvips.

However, on the Mac with the same file and relative structure, I get

dvips: Could not find figure file ../images/ccd2.eps; continuing

It all appears to work, but with either dvips or dvipdf I get a blank
page.

I can get around it by introducing in the .tex file a  link:

ln -s ../images images

and then replacing the includegraphics argument with ./images/ccd2.eps

But why doesn't it work?

I do not use texshop: just latex and dvips or dvipdf.