[OS X TeX] Distiller

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jan 28 21:59:37 CET 2006

Am 28.01.2006 um 21:01 schrieb Alain Matthes:

>> Ghostscript can convert some PS files which Apple's pstopdf
>> cannot. With Ghostscript you can choose to create PDF-1.2,
>> PDF-1.3, or PDF-1.4 output, while pstopdf produces the system's
>> PDF version.
>
> pdf-1.2 etc.. it's the same that ps2pdf12 ,ps2pdf13 etc...this
> tools are parts of ghostscript ?

Yes.

>>> . If i include a file.eps then i need a postscript distiller; Is
>>> this
>>> correct?
>>
>> Not when you use pdfTeX, because pdfTeX cannot handle EPS, so the
>> EPS content is converted either during conversion (epstopdf
>> package) or before.
>
> You wrote EPS but ghostscript or apple distiller have as a name
> ps2pdf or pstopdf for me there is a difference between ps and eps.
> and there is also a toll with name epstopdf. pstopdf can works with
> ps and eps?

pstopdf and the Ghostscript tools convert EPS too, but they do not
honour the bounding box of the EPS image, they work on sheets of
paper (the image size is not changed, but the graphics size becomes
the paper size). epstopdf saves the bounding box information, but
cannot handle every EPS file (using ps2pdf and then pdfcrop might
work on these EPS files).

--
Greetings

   Pete

"A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience."
Doug Larson