[OS X TeX] Two random reflections

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jan 27 15:58:11 CET 2006

Two random reflections after working on a scientific presentation
earlier this week in Keynote:

all those involved in making these tools available! There are things
I miss from the other equation editors (i.e. the ability to use
different preambles in Equation Service, and the user interface and
ability to save and reopen equation libraries in LaTeX Equation
Editor), but nothing important. The only annoying bit is that
equations are images to Keynote, so that you cannot have, for
example, a bulleted list with some items being equations; instead,
you need to reserve white space to paste the equation in, at the very
last stage of composition of a slide, when all other elements are in
place.

- Illustrator CS 2 fails silently to open EPS files for editing,
unless they are of type "TEXT" (as checked -- when Xcode is installed
-- by /Developper/Tools/GetFileInfo in Terminal, and set by "/
Developer/Tools/SetFile -t "TEXT"" also in Terminal). I noticed this
with old Mathematica EPS files of mine. I tried all possible tricks
(like changing Unix-style line endings to Mac-style line endings),
before thinking of this TeXT type thing, and none worked.

Hope this may help others.

Bruno Voisin