[OS X TeX] \inaccessible \bibitem

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jan 26 16:56:46 CET 2006

On 26 Jan 2006, at 12:37 pm, Ingo Reich wrote:

> I tried to follow your advice and I append the relevant files below
> (let's call them "drive.tex" and "drive.bbl"). I made the following
> observations:
>
> 1. when I use times (as \rmdefault) instead of courier (as
> \rmdefault) the error disappears (actually I am using scala sans,
> but I was able to reproduce the behavior with courier)
> OR [!]
> 2. when I delete \clubpenalty=10000, the error disappears

These two apparently unrelated changes (as well as changing \bibsep,
which you mentioned previously) have one thing in common: they are
all things that will affect the page breaks that are found....

> OR [!]
> 3. when I delete leftmark in my custom pagestyle "habil", the error
> disappears

....which will in turn influence the content of the marks (\topmark,
\botmark, etc) when the running header is built.

I'd venture to guess that if you change the point size or paper size
of your document, the error may well disappear (or reappear
elsewhere) too. I think there's an incompatibility between your use
of \leftmark in the header, and whatever (the bibliography style?) is
supposed to be producing the \mark's. (The corresponding \rightmark
in the odd header is probably at risk, too, depending exactly how the
page breaks happen to come out.)

I haven't had time to dig deeper into this as yet, but I think we
need to examine exactly what gets put into the \marks while
processing the bibliography, and how \leftmark and \rightmark are
defined to access this data, because that seems to be at the root of
the problem. Maybe one of the LaTeX gurus here would like to
investigate?

JK