[OS X TeX] paths in input & include

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 22:47:05 CET 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:38:22 +0100, Alain Schremmer
<Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>
>> As I said earlier, \input does not have this problem. It is really
>> curious that \input and \include handle filenames so differently.
>
> My understanding is that \input is a TeX primitive while \include is a
> LaTeX command which seems to be used essentially for including a chapter
> (it also puts a clear page.)

Strictly speaking, \input in LaTeX is not equal to the primitive \input
command but rather goes to some length to allow people to either use the
primitive
   \input filename <space>
or the more LaTeXy
   \input{filename}

All this fun with spaces in filenames---also for graphics files---is
probably something some foolhardy soul should try and make a package for
one of these days since all major distributions support the "spaced out"
syntax with quotes.

However, this soul would be well advised to study the code used in
\IfFileExists and similar places where \openin and friends are called.

Or we could just make some new primitives in pdfTeX which expects the
filename in braces and that would be it. Sounds like a better use of our
time...
--
Morten