[OS X TeX] once more: owners, groups and privilegues of texmf.local

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jan 21 22:32:35 CET 2006

Am 21.01.2006 um 21:23 schrieb Friedrich Vosberg:

> But this directory and all subdirectories have the folllowing
> owner, groups and privilegues
>
>     drwxr-xr-x root wheel
>
> so I can't install there the directories and files as needed for
> the installation of the fonts (Luxi Mono, Bera).

No, you can! With sudo. (BTW, when you make the teTeX trees belong to
the group admin, set the umask value to 002, and become member of the
group admin, you would have write and delete access to the
directories. You could preserve yourself from deleting files. What I
don't know is whether i-Installer respects this ...)

If you can launch X11 and either open an X11 Emacs or xterm, you can
launch these X11 clients as running with super-user privileges. 'sudo
-H xterm &' or 'sudo -H emacs &' launches them high privileged -- all
the time, not only a few minutes as with sudo in a Carbon or Cocoa
application as for example in Terminal.  Doing this empowers you to
destroy the whole system within seconds. So you better accept that
the system tries to protect itself from you and gives you all the
while a time window to act deliberately. The better you prepare your
work and the more you learn from earlier action the more efficient
you'll become.

sudo is a universal concept. It works for all UNIX commands, it does
not work for the usual GUI applications. Therefore you have the
opportunity to 'activate' the root account as a login account. Then
you would have unlimited access to system destruction.

A last way to make your live easy is to write shell scripts that you
invoke with sudo -H.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Diese Nachricht wurde mit einer Taschenlampe
ins offene Ende eines Glasfaserkabels gemorst.