[OS X TeX]

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Jan 21 19:06:52 CET 2006

On 21 Jan 2006, at 9:40 am, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> The Italian patterns are included by default, at least if you used
> i-Installer to install TeX. If they are indeed missing, the easiest
> way is to re-run the configuration stage and select the languages
> that you need. The first few lines in a log file (at least for a
> LaTeX run) tell you all the languages that are loaded.
>
> However, I do not know how to use Babel in plain TeX. In LaTeX it
> is easy, but plain is somewhat different. I once received the same
> question for Dutch, and was unable to answer. So, in a way this
> question is inappropriate to this list, as the same problem lives
> on other systems. An answer is still appreciated though...

The Plain format only loads the standard US English patterns. If you
want to use other patterns, you need to create a new format that
loads different (or additional) patterns. You could do this entirely
"manually"....

> Kew-PowerBookG4:~ jonathan$ pdftex -ini -jobname=itplain
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.3-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) (INITEX)
> **plain
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/plain/base/plain.tex
> Preloading the plain format: codes, registers, parameters, fonts,
> more fonts,
> macros, math definitions, output routines, hyphenation
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/hyphen.tex))
> *\newlanguage\italian \language=\italian \input ithyph
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/ithyph.tex)
> *\dump
> Beginning to dump on file itplain.fmt
> <...snip...>
> Hyphenation trie of length 6632 has 216 ops out of 35111
>   35 for language 1
>   181 for language 0
> No pages of output.
> Transcript written on itplain.log.

...but another option would be to use the "eplain" format, which has
provision for loading multiple sets of patterns; you just need to
edit "language.def" (use kpsewhich to find it) and add some
\addlanguage lines, then rebuild eplain.fmt using fmtutil-sys.

HTH  ...... JK