[OS X TeX]

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 21 10:40:21 CET 2006

On 21 Jan 2006, at 0:00, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 20.01.2006 um 18:53 schrieb Nicola Rizzi:
>
>> I am using TeTex on a Mac (TeXShop). My question is how to change
>> hyphenetion patterns in Plain Tex (italian, for instance). In fact
>> I have some patterns but I do not know how to generate a new
>> multilingual format (i am not been able to find initex).
>
> The hyphenation patterns are located in /usr/local/teTeX/share/
> texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/ithyph.tex (Claudio Beccari). They
> are used in TeX via the Babel system, /usr/local/teTeX/share/
> texmf.tetex/tex/generic/babel/italian.ldf, /usr/local/teTeX/share/
> texmf.tetex/tex/generic/babel/italian.sty.
>
> You probably do not need to create new formats with initex. There
> is (sudo -H) fmtutil-sys for the whole system, or fmtutil for your
> personal demand. By default the Italian hyphenation patterns *are*
> included -- so if you change them you just would need to re-new the
> formats.
>
> There too is texconfig or texconfig-dialog (for the system it is to
> be used as 'sudo -H texconfig-sys') which you can use to change
> parts of your teTeX installation. If you prefer the Mac way you can
> do it using i-Installer to 'configure only' your system.

The Italian patterns are included by default, at least if you used i-
Installer to install TeX. If they are indeed missing, the easiest way
is to re-run the configuration stage and select the languages that
you need. The first few lines in a log file (at least for a LaTeX
run) tell you all the languages that are loaded.

However, I do not know how to use Babel in plain TeX. In LaTeX it is
easy, but plain is somewhat different. I once received the same
question for Dutch, and was unable to answer. So, in a way this
question is inappropriate to this list, as the same problem lives on
other systems. An answer is still appreciated though...

Maarten